The Pet Specialists
The Pet Specialists
Located at the Animal Care Cancer Center
1122 NE 4th Avenue Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33304
Tel. (954) 766-2988
Fax. (305) 630-8478
The Pet Specialists is a satellite clinic of Southeast Veterinary Referral Center (SVRC) offering internal medicine and critical care services at the Animal Cancer Care Clinic main hospital in Ft. Lauderdale. Our expertise extends, not only to those internal medicine and critical care problems that can develop as a result of cancer or cancer therapy but to the diagnoses and treatment of all internal medicine and critical care problems. We are a specialty center and do not provide routine veterinary care (e.g. vaccines, dental prophylaxis or heart worm prevention). Your regular veterinarian can provide those services for your pet.
What can The Pet Specialists do for you and your loved one?
Some of our areas of expertise include:
- Endocrine diseases (hormonal problems)
- Infectious diseases
- Hematological abnormalities (blood disorders)
- Gastrointestinal diseases
- Respiratory diseases (breathing problems)
- Kidney diseases
We perform diagnostic procedures such as:
- Bronchoscopy (to help diagnose)
- Ultrasound guided fine needle aspirates and biopsy (to help diagnose cancer and other problems)
- Bone marrow aspiration and biopsy
- Rhinoscopy (the use of a scope to visualize the nose)
- Endoscopy-visualization and biopsies of the esophagus stomach small intestine and colon
- Cystoscopy- visualization and biopsy of the bladder and ureters
- Ballooning procedures in the esophagus and colon for strictures
The Pet Specialists have state of the art diagnostic and therapeutic equipment on site including:
- Video endoscopy
- Digital radiology
- CT scan- Through the Animal Cancer Care Ct scan center
- Extensive line of blood products (e.g. frozen plasma, blood transfusions,)
- Complete in-house laboratory (blood gases, pancreas test, clotting tests)
At the Pet Specialists and the Animal Cancer Care Clinic, the health of your pet is of primary importance. That is why we provide after-hour emergency care for all of our patients!
We have a critical care nurse on staff 24 hours a day as well as a doctor on the premises from 8 am-6 pm Monday through Saturday and 9 am-5 pm Sundays. The doctor will stay overnight if there are any hospitalized patients in need of critical care attention. Otherwise, between the hours of 9 pm-9 am and 5 pm-9 am Sundays, the doctor is on call and will gladly meet you in the hospital if an emergency arises after hours. If you think your pet is experiencing a life threatening emergency (for example: a breathing issue) and you live far from us please transport your pet to the nearest emergency facility.
If you have your pet evaluated at an emergency hospital other than our facility (ACCC, SVRC or The Pet Specialists), we will forward your pets medical records to that facility. However, we may not be able to direct further testing and treatments while your pet is being treated at that facility.
If an emergency should arise please feel free to phone us at (954) 766-2988 or (954) 527-3111 and speak to the nurse about your pet’s condition. Please inform the nurse that your pet is under the care of The Pet Specialists so that the appropriate veterinarian may be contacted and made aware of your pet’s condition.
We believe that being available for our patients, clients and providing continuity of care is one of the most important things we can do for you and your pet’s health.
The Pet Specialists is committed to providing your pet with the highest quality of care.
Admission, Visitation and Phone Calls
- Your family member is being admitted to our hospital for 24 hour medical and nursing care.
- If your pet is taking medications, please leave them with us or return with them as soon as possible.
- Please let us know if your pet has any special dietary needs.
- You may leave a blanket, towel, article of clothing, and/or a toy with your pet. However, we will not be held responsible for any lost items: some items can get soiled and will be washed with the general laundry.
- Visiting hours are between 10 am and 9 pm including weekends and will be held in the exam rooms. If you need to visit outside of these hours, please inform the attending doctor to see if this can be arranged. We will make every attempt flexible, but in some instances (due to the nature of emergencies and the number of patients hospitalized), we will need to enforce the visiting hours so we can continue to provide the high quality care we are known for.
- Please call before coming to the hospital to inform us that you are on the way to visit your loved one.
- No family members are permitted in the treatment area unless authorized by the doctor and escorted by a staff member. Visitation in the treatment area will only be allowed with patients in critical condition which are not able to go into the visiting room.
- Please limit visits to 30 minutes unless the patient cannot leave the treatment area in which case the visitation will be limited to 15 minutes.
- You will receive a daily update from the veterinarian caring for your loved one.
- Please limit your phone calls to twice daily unless the veterinarian on duty requests that you call more frequently.
- Please designate one family member to call us and relay any information to the other family members accordingly. It is time consuming to give the same information to different family members.
- If you need more information than the nurse can provide, the veterinarians will speak with you if they are unavailable. If the veterinarian is not available because they are attending to patients, the nurse will be glad to relay any questions about your family member to the veterinarian.